On Monday, September 21, Second Stage Theater’s Virtual Benefit Celebration honored Trustee Angela Sun and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Tom Kitt for their extraordinary work, commitment to Second Stage and remarkable impact on American theater.
The benefit featured virtual performances and appearances by Kate Baldwin, Heidi Blickenstaff, LaChanze, Cameron Crowe, Tony Goldwyn, Celia Rose Gooding, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Lauren Patten, Alice Ripley, Carole Rothman, Emily Skinner, Adrienne Warren and Bess Wohl and was directed by Jason Moore and hosted by Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Ashley Park,
Performances from the evening included:
- “I Miss the Mountains” fromNext to Normal, performed by Adrienne Warren
- “You Learn to Live Without” fromIf/Then, performed by Emily Skinner and Alice Ripley
- “Superhero” fromSuperhero, performed by Kate Baldwin
- “Maybe” fromNext to Normal, performed by LaChanze and Celia Rose Gooding
- “I Need Them to See Me,” an original song by Tom Kitt, performed by Heidi Blickenstaff
The evening concluded with a finale performance of “Light” from Next to Normal. According to the press release, over the past few weeks, Second Stage crowdsourced the many Tom Kitt fans from around the world to accompany Lauren Patten, along with Tom’s three children Michael, Julie and Charlie Kitt, for the special performance. They received videos from all over the globe, including the Philippines, South Korea, Australia and the UK and compiled the video as a dedication to Tom and Angela.
Second Stage Theater previously announced its upcoming 2020-2021 season here.